Donald Trump plans to skip the third Republican presidential debate reportedly taking place in Miami in early November, according to Bloomberg, an absence that would mark yet another no-show for the former president who has repeatedly diminished the events on social media.
The former president skipped the first debate in favor of an interview with former Fox News host Tucker Carlson in August and will blow off the second to give a speech to members of the United Auto Workers union next week.
Trump has repeatedly attributed his absences to not wanting to engage with lower-polling candidates.
Trump commands a wide lead in national polls, boasting 55.3% support nationally as of Wednesday, a more than 40-point lead over No. 2 ranked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, according to FiveThirtyEight‘s latest polling average.
A representative for Trump did not immediately respond to Forbes‘ request for comment.
Former Vice President Mike Pence told CBS on Monday that Trump’s absence at the upcoming second Republican presidential debate was a “missed opportunity” for voters and Trump himself.
Trump’s disdain for the debates and its participating presidential candidates has been well-documented. He said in his August interview with Carlson he decided to skip out on the first debate because of the large lead he had on the other candidates, adding he didn’t want to be “harassed” by people who “shouldn’t even be running for president.” The former president boasted his poll numbers in a post on Truth Social last month and said his record was “one of the BEST EVER” after referencing late President Ronald Reagan, who opted out of his first of two debates with then-President Jimmy Carter before beating the incumbent in the 1980 presidential election.